Thursday, December 09, 2004

Day One - Say Hello To My (Not So) Little Friend

Hi All;

Well, it seems the Creator has chosen a particular path of learning and discovery for me.

As most of you know, I suffer from tinnitus – “persistent ringing in the ears”, a condition brought on by years of playing music. My right ear has gotten worse lately, and I decided to get my ears checked a couple of months ago at the Canadian Hearing Institute. These tests included one called an ABR (Automated Brain Response), which confirmed that my brain was not receiving the signal from my right ear. Dr. Wade recommended we do an MRI to determine whether or not there was anything physical ‘blocking the signal’ between my right ear, and my brain.

He called me at work yesterday and sent me to Sunnybrook Hospital to meet with Dr. Chen who reviewed the MRI results with me, and confirmed some disturbing information. I have a brain tumor. Sounds so weird when you say it, almost like some bad cliché’ in an even worse movie – starring me! It’s not small either, measuring 6CM across. 3CM is cystic, meaning soft, and the other 3CM is solid growth. His differential diagnosis is something called Acoustic Neuroma. My only option for treatment is surgery, which I think will be done in January.

Some good news: It’s not Cancer, it’s been growing for perhaps 15 years, and I haven’t had any symptoms. Also, It’s not involved in the brain tissue. In other words, it’s a mass growing on the surface of the brain, but not into the tissue.

Some not so good news: It’s gonna be about a 10-hour surgery. Because of its size – (anything over 3CM is considered large), there are some “compulsory deficits”. (Don’t you just love DoctorSpeak?) 1) I will be permanently deaf in my right ear. 2) I will have to re-learn balance functionality – the best-case scenario for balance recovery is 2 months. 3) There are other risks, but the most likely for me that the facial nerves on the right side of my face will be affected. Dr. Chen told me that there is a 70-75% chance that the nerves on the right side of my face will 100% paralyzed. This kind of a tough one on me, because as you all know, I’m a bit of a vain bastard.

I don’t think anyone knows what the post-op outcome will be until surgery. Positivism counts for everything. Theresa and I are in good spirits, and I’m determined that I will be a record breaker in terms of recovery.

I wanted to let everyone know at the same time. I’m going to do as much research as I can. Please send the White Light my way, and if you pray, please don’t pray to Benny Hinn. There’s something about that guy I don’t trust, but I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Much love to all,
John Lalley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello John.
Welcome to the world of brain gunk.
You will see my postings on the AN website under "nanacat"...see "still standing after all these years" posted about a month ago. Might give you an idea that all is not horrible with this.

Have an entry for your T-shirt contest: "Doc, you never said you were only gonna shave half of my head!" (you'll get it, believe me!)

Sorry to post anonymous, but when I go to log in, this site wants me to sign up and I'm a bit lost. But have LOTS to say and share.

The hard part is now. Getting ready is going to take everything you've got.

Would be happy to share my experience with you. You can e-mail me at: edw1812@sympatico.ca

Catherine Edwards
Post op 11 years and counting! YIPPEE and I can still ride my bike!!!!

Anonymous said...

John, I've been reading your blog, meditating and sending healing light your way. We just had a "stroke" happen in the family which resulted in an operation to remove the offending clot. Not the same as your situation, I know. But the care that this woman received from the beginning and now at rehab in St. Catharines, was phenomenal. It seems that the medical situation in the Toronto area is excellent and you will be in excellent hands.

Go with good thoughts and the knowledge that there are many more of us "strangers" out in cyberland who are sending you prayers and healing light.

Your animals are beautiful and look contented and well-loved. They will be there for you to offer you comfort when you come home.

I'm wishing you and Theresa love and strength to get through this, as I know you will.

Godspeed, snowbird