Thursday, December 30, 2004

The Hands of Farhad Pirouzmand

So the appointment with Dr. Pirouzmand went well. I signed some papers and moved closer to a date for surgery. He thinks we might be able to schedule for January (fingers crossed), so I signed the consent for treatment and got the ball rolling. His secretary’s name is Karen and she seemed to have a reasonable sense of humour. I got a palpable chuckle when I referred to her as another one of my new best friends.

He tested me for numbness by checking reflexes (knees, feet, elbows, shoulders, throat, and eyes.) He confirms a very slight but lesser response on the right side of my throat and right eye. The eye test was particularly funny: he held the corner of a piece of gauze, had me look up, and then gently poked me in the eyeball with it!

He confirmed also his preferred approach as translabyrinthine with a possible secondary retrosigmoid - depending on all the wonderful variables, the stickiness, and ease of removal. (I sure hope that baby pops out faster than a chocolate out of a Laura Secord box.)

More to follow later dear readers, I'm tired out and my sentences are lacking variation in rhythm. I fell asleep on the couch at eight, woke up at nine-thirty and am now off to bed to dig into a bad bestseller before the drapes close again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, i've done that "poke in the eye" test on you, and you've always passed.

Anonymous said...

Hey John.
Glad to hear you're moving forward with the "plan".

Did the doc do the test on you (my personal fave): "stick out your tongue" and he then grabs the end of your tongue with a piece of gauze....I could never figure out what the point of that one was....something to do with facial nerve but every time I saw the gauze coming out I'd flinch (the eyeball one was bad but the tongue one really got to me).....

Hang in there.
Catherine

Anonymous said...

I didn't have the pleasure of that particular test, it sounds like a good one! I liked how he didn't say what he was going to do, he just went into guerilla mode and poked. I guess they don't want you to anticipate a response.

John

Anonymous said...

I got the "poke in the eye" test, also the "blowing in the face test". Good thing my surgeon had good breath.
They also tested for nystigmus, when your eye shakes uncontrollably when looking as far to the peripheral as possible. I had nystagmus before the tumour was removed, but immediately dissapeared after the surgery.
Oh I have done all the tests, alot of them are not unlike the drinking and driving tests. Just wait post op, you will be asked what your name is, what the date is, and where you are, at least 3 times a day. :|
Kelly

John Lalley said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to take careful note of the date before they put me under!

A FAN said...

So i have chairi 1 malformation. had no idea what the heck my doctor was talking about when he give me that news.So iam of to see DR Farhad P. can any one tell me some thing about him not very many reviews.Thanks. Sherry.