Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Lettuce and Tomatoes / Solstice / Dr's App

4AM – BANG. I’m wide-awake, and the wheels immediately start turning. One of the things I need to do is get enough sleep but some nights I wake up and can’t drift away again. I’ve just got too much on my mind…too many things in my head…(chuckle-chuckle)

My brother James and his wife Michelle were in town last night and we all went for dinner to an Outback Steakhouse. I need to watch my diet and despite the incredible temptation, did not opt for the 42 ounce Butt Steak. I asked the server to ‘lively up’ the salad with some vegetables rather than just throw down the old iceberg lettuce, tomatoes being hard to come by this season because of all the damaged crops. The hard asses in the kitchen sent a bowl of lettuce out with the suggestion that I have more meat. I saw hot-house tomatoes at Loblaws the other day for $4.99 which provided a mental post-it note reminding me that I’m going to have to get some tips from my neighbour Ziggy next season and convert part of the backyard into a tomato plantation.

It was a good dinner, we had a few laughs and didn’t discuss or dwell on the upcoming heaviness. I gave James a copy of the Dr. Chen provided booklet on AN. (diagnosis / options / risks and recovery.) This has been hard on the loved ones, and I feel for them. 12 hours in a waiting room with nothing but Chatelaine to read would be enough to depress me too.

Next Tuesday is Winter Solstice. The pre-Christian Celts (much to the chagrin of Glasgow Rangers fans everywhere) knew it as the end of the Dark Season and beginning of the Light. The sun will be returning, and days will lengthen until spring comes Feb. 1.
Sure… Maybe in Windsor!

Follow up appointment with Dr. Chen today to plan surgery. I'd like to do it as early as possible after 2005 rolls so I can start recovery and be ready to ride my bike when the season starts.


1 comment:

John Lalley said...

Love you too R&K.