Thursday, March 24, 2005

Jeff Buckley helped me paint the kitchen.

My first exposure to Jeff Buckley was on television during Glastonbury '94. I was in southern England making a Bootsauce record at the time, and having a great time with my buddies. It was time for a wee break in the afternoon, and I took off for the serenity of the lounge, ringing ears and hangover in tow, to watch television. Onscreen I saw a guy and his band set up their gear and start to play. They jumped from the screen into the ether of Jacobs Studio with a vengeance and tore into their stuff. Jeff, (son of folk hero hippie Tim Buckley) and his band played an amazing set that afternoon, and he completely blew everyone away with his live version of songs from the brilliant breakthrough album Grace. I couldn’t tear myself away. Their set went down like something important to witness - this meant something; it was clear that something special was in the air. I was so moved I practically destroyed a snare drum that afternoon. Sadly, Buckley was to drown in 1997; a talent taken far too soon, his genius half-tapped.

If you don’t know Grace do yourself a favour and go buy it. Buckley and his band of New Yorkers play “loosely tight” as Jimmy Page once said, the songs are amazing, and it belongs in your stash.

Besides. It’s great music to paint the kitchen to.

1 comment:

John Lalley said...

Hi jenn see,

Jeff chose sunshine coloured walls and a white ceiling.

Rev, you've got me on the search.