Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Misterchipig VS The Killers

The Killers have done their homework, listened to the right records, and stolen from the right people! The songs are full of new wave riffing and their choruses are high on the spine tingle count. Tess and I scored tickets to see them at the Molson Amphitheatre May 31st with bi-coastal Canadian twins Tegan and Sara. Speaking of the Rock, Vancouver stalwarts SNFU fly to Onterrible to rip it up April 28th. This is the best punk rock band you might be lucky enough to see this spring, and you never know when you might get another chance.

I used all my rocket fuel last week to paint the kitchen. I needed to gauge manual stresses and I’m pretty sure I got a good mark, though it was mighty tiring.

I’m one of those nutbars that like going to work.

I led the life of an artist (usually a starving one) until I was thirty-two, at which time I got my first day-gig in an office. I like the comedy, I like the discipline involved, and I like to wake up in the morning. I like the fact that "personal cause" (usually) translates into "personal effect." Being in a band means you have to rely on and work with three or four people to succeed. Creative people are often tortured souls, and work can be uneven. I find day jobbing is more individualistic, there is more personal glory involved, and I like the challenge of the trajectory.

So many people are miserable with work, but if you hate it so much why bother? You could move to Costa Rica and serve drinks for two days a week to put food in your belly - (my dream retirement job.) You could certainly do without the massive SUV lease. Speaking of which, it’s high time that these creatures became unfashionable.

It’s been almost three months since surgery, slacking is about to become a thing of the past and I’m headed back to work Monday. As Phil R. so eloquently said on the phone yesterday, “Oprah and Dr. Phil have really great shows, but it’s time to move forward.”

On the bicycle front, I cherry burst my first ride post-op today. My baby hooked me up with a new helmet, a front light, and small rearview mirror yesterday, and I’m definitely going for a scoot.

15 Degrees today - good times.

No comments: