Tuesday, January 25, 2005

In Search of...Sasquatch!

We took a good walk with Luna yesterday with a few of the ‘Creekers’ through the mighty Taylor, in search of Sasquatch and the meaning of life. I had noticed some time ago that “Tom” had at some point suffered a facial paralysis, which affected his speech and after letting him know all about my story, took yesterday as an opportunity to ask him about his experience.

“Cancer in the brain stem, thank God it hasn’t been recurrent.”

Well. I’m a lucky boy indeed. They say that if you’re going to get a tumour, an acoustic neuroma is like winning the lottery.

James and Terry came over for a Loblaw’s sponsored dinner - (they made me pay after all) - of lasagna, documentaries, and laughter. “Crazy Old-Bird Dog” was the operative phrase, which was used often with great success.

I talked to Dr. Chen today on the phone to give him some details about the facial paralysis – he concurs that it is a slight problem, and he’ll call in a script for prednisone tomorrow. I may or may not go on, and because it is a steroid, may suffer some weight gain and “moon-face” as a result. We’ll see how it gets overnight. There hasn’t really been any change since Sunday night. He says a HB III is pretty bad, which leads me to believe that I have a II. Learn as you go!


3 comments:

John Lalley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John Lalley said...

I don't want to go on the steroids, I've heard some real horror stories: nightmares, irritability, constipation etc..

No change again this morning.
I think I'll just have the script on hand.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lorenzo (Ciao!!!). If you have to go on the steriods, stick to the veggies and chicken soup. Be prepared for the feeling of walking on the moon. Take out your Sting CD and crank it.

Ok. A HB II is not that bad. I figure I was between a HB III and IV. My sister the RN freaked when she saw me 2 weeks after surgery. She had me readmitted to TWH for yet another CAT scan with dye. Just checking was her rationale. Almost eight months later and the facial paralysis is not noticeable to most people. I know it is there ever so slightly.

Be positive. You will heal and look like yourself again.

You can eat the Baci just be prepared for some serious exercise later on.

Grace