Saturday, January 08, 2005

Short Term Disassembly

Yesterday at noon I decamped the office and entered into ‘Short Term Disassembly’. I had a quick lunch at the venerable Patrician with Malcolm and Phil, which included the diner staples of both coleslaw and a vanilla milkshake before I jumped on the Yonge line heading north. It felt strange to tidy my desk and compose an “out of the office indefinitely due to illness” email, but I’m sure it won’t be too long before I jump back into the fray. I left with very little notice to my team because I hate long goodbyes, and didn’t want to put anyone through any uncomfortable moments. Apologies to all I didn’t get a chance to see before ducking out for that 'easy on the mayo clubhouse on brown.' The CC Crew are a remarkable bunch and I feel a tremendous amount of support from my colleagues within the Business. See you all very soon.

To the PL Rangers: “The first person who can answer this question will win an incredible all expense paid trip for two to the Front St. Tim Horton's: Who did Pierre Trudeau defeat at the 1968 Liberal party leadership convention?”

I went up to Eclipse next for a meeting with Jason to discuss the best way to let the members of the club know about my swollen head, and it was decided that we’d post a memo after I teach my last Spinning class tomorrow AM. We had a good verbal nosh and again, the level of support was wonderful. We discussed post-op training and physiotherapy, and I’m looking forward to the challenge and getting back in as soon as possible. The club has just undergone a massive renovation, it looks really cool, and I’m glad I’ll get a chance to teach a class in the new studio before I go on vacation.

My great pal Kevin came over this afternoon to say hello and drop off a copy of Angela’s Ashes for me, and of course he demonstrated his excellent sense of humour by becoming for a moment, Harlan Pepper from “Best In Show”. The phone rings – (I’m so popular now that I’m ‘Mr. Brain Tumour’ and it’s our other great brother from another mother Terry, calling from Bangkok. Terry was inland just enough to miss the Tsunami when it made landfall in southern India, and in the past days he has seen a lot of destruction and pain. He’s coming home in a few days, and it was great to hear from him.

Tess is as always, the slinkiest kitten ever to come out of the kitten house, and if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go and whisper some sugar into her ear.

1 comment:

John Lalley said...

BTW - RM is correct, Eferem - get her a damn coffee!
I'm only kidding (the next round is on me, Ruth.)