Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Next Three Days

Monday - 9.45PM: I'm going to have another MRI, this time with an injection of the contrast material gadolinium. When I was a little kid needles scared the briefs offa me, but I'm no longer scared of needles and I no longer wear briefs. When you're all grown up and headed for brain surgery, a needle is not cause for great concern. Bring on the gadolinium baby, and let's get some clean film. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of MRI, it's loud and in a confined space - and that's about all. (They give you foam earplugs which are yours to keep, by the way.) Note to those with body piercings: make sure you take your jewelry out before you arrive, they may not have the right tool for removal, and you can't wear any metal in your body during the procedure - I think it would get a bit too warm.

Tuesday - 7.30AM: Pre-Surgical Assessment which consists of blood and urine analysis, a consult with the anesthesiologist, info session prep, and I think a psychiatric assessment. Catherine says they’ll likely ask me "Do you know why you're having surgery?" Apparently, it's not a good idea to crack any jokes at this point like "I'm here for a personality implant", otherwise they might decide to cancel my little party and send me off to Penetanguishene.

Wednesday - Early Morning / Time TBA: Showtime.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey John Joseph,
I'm really sorry I wasn't able to give you a "see ya soon" hug. But know this, you have not seen the last of...

Claaaaaire Vinegar!!! :)

Rock on, my friend, and rock hard.

Anonymous said...

But John, look at it this way:

After the surgery, you get an "MRI discount" cause you only need ONE of the foam ear pluggies....

Catherine

WALK WITHOUT FEAR

Anonymous said...

Hi John:
Penny, Judy and Everett from the "Park Gang" are now wired up to your website and we'll be tracking your progress! See you soon in the park.
Penny

Anonymous said...

John,
I've been reading your blog, and relate so much to you, as I, too am a musician, your age, and had surgery for an AN 2.3 years ago.
Wishing you the best possible outcome for your surgery. You obviously have an excellent spirit, and a warm, supportive home life to recover in. (I'm sure Grapes and Luna will provide great doses of healing laughter to you post-op!)
Sending healing thoughts/energy your way for the big day.

J

Anonymous said...

John, i'm with ya brother.
Talk when you're done, my ol' friend.
I love you.
Perry

Anonymous said...

...oh crap, forgot to tell you.. we have a kitty now too! Just got her this weekend.
Haven't come up with a name yet though... I'm thinking "Penetanguishene"
PJ

John Lalley said...

I'm happy to say that when the MRI tech saw me putting the used foam earplugs in my pocket after the scan he picked up a fistful of and 'laid-em-on-me.'

"You pay taxes, don't you?"

Now I have lots!

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I am sure it takes just you to go thru all of this. You will be a champion at the end of it all.I will actually do an African dance in your honor. May God protect you.

Ako